A centralized repository of hyperlinks to recommendation lists; a Big List of lists in one single place (which makes it a personal favorite). This one’s from the Physics Stack Exchange.
- General: Recommendations for good Newtonian mechanics and kinematics books
- Foundations: Book suggestions for foundation of Newtonian Mechanics
- Introductory (math): Which Mechanics book is the best for beginner in math major?
- Advanced: Book about classical mechanics
- Coordinate-free: Classical mechanics without coordinates book
- Introductory: Electrodynamics textbook that emphasizes applications
- Advanced: Recommended books for electrodynamics
Classical Field Theory
Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics
- Short: Crash course in classical thermodynamics
- Advanced: Recommendations for Statistical Mechanics book
- Mathematical: References about rigorous thermodynamics
- Popular: Popular books on QM
- Introductory: What is a good introductory book on quantum mechanics?
- Advanced: Learn QM algebraic formulations and interpretations
- Historical: Good book on the history of Quantum Mechanics?
- Mathematical : A book on quantum mechanics supported by the high-level mathematics
- Path Integral : Path integral formulation of quantum mechanics
Quantum Information theory
- Advanced: Quantum information science references
Quantum Field Theory
- What is a complete book for quantum field theory?
- Are there books on Regularization and Renormalization in QFT at an Introductory level? (maybe this should go under “Math”?)
- Textbook on group theory to be able to start QFT
- A No-Nonsense Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
- Popular: Good book about elementary particles for high school students?
- Introductory: Particle physics getting started
Experimental Particle Physics
- Introductory: Getting started general relativity
- Mathematical: Mathematically-oriented Treatment of General Relativity
Theories of Everything
- Introductory: Introduction to string theory
- Advanced: Advanced topics in string theory
- Matrix-string-theory: Good introductory text for matrix string theory
- AdS-CFT: Introduction to AdS/CFT
- What is a good introductory text to astronomy
- What are good books for graduates/undergraduates in Astrophysics?
Condensed Matter and Solid State Physics
- Introductory: Intro to Solid State Physics
- Advanced: Books for Condensed Matter Physics
- Intermolecular forces: Soft Condensed Matter
- Mathematically Rigorous: Mathematical rigorous introduction to solid state physics
- Anyons: References on the physics of anyons
- Iron-based superconductors: Reference needed for Iron-based superconductors
- Introductory: Best Materials Science Introduction Book?
- Introductory: Book recommendations for fluid dynamics self study
- Boundary layer theory: Boundary layer theory in fluids learning resources
- Introductory: What are some of the best books on complex systems?
- Best books for mathematical background?
- Group Theory: Comprehensive book on group theory for physicists?
- Spectral Theory: Books for linear operator and spectral theory
- Variational Calculus: Introductory texts for functionals and calculus of variation
- Topology: Book covering Topology required for physics and applications
- Algebraic Geometry: Crash course on algebraic geometry with view to applications in physics
- Fractals: Physics-oriented books on fractals
- Books that every physicist should read
- List of freely available physics books
- Books that every layman should read
- Books that develop interest & critical thinking among high school students
- What is a good introduction to integrable models in physics?